What is CUSU?
CUSU (Cambridge University Students Union) is comprised of representatives from each of the college student unions. CUSU has its own committee that are elected each year and holds meetings with the JCR representatives every week.
By being affiliated with CUSU we are provided with many services and information, as well as providing an avenue to discuss issues with other colleges student unions.
How does it affect Christ's?
CUSU Provides the JCR with Support in the following ways:
- CUSU runs a series of awareness campaigns on subjects such as sexual health, cycle safety and reducing exam stress. In these campaigns CUSU supplies ideas, materials and support to The JCR
- CUSU provides disability support services which CCSU isn’t equipped to provide.
- CUSU provide support and training to The JCR’s welfare team.
- CUSU provides the cheap attack alarms, condom supply and the free pregnancy tests available to Christ’s students.
- CUSU runs two confidential phone lines with trained volunteers manning them. These are eating disorders support and beeline which provides information on the subjects of sexual health, contraception, parenting and so on.
- CUSU is vital to the position of the LBGT rep and the community in college. By providing effective training for the LBGT rep it allows him/her to more effectively deal with the problems often experienced by members of the LBGT community within college. As well as this CUSU is a necessary mediator between college and the rep, providing support and services in times of crisis or discrimination as well as a wider venue for social events and welfare issues.
- CUSU provides the annual CUSU-NUS cards which are widely accepted as student ID and used for entrance and discounts both within Cambridge and elsewhere.
- CUSU organises the societies fair during Freshers’ week where over 300 societies attend.
- CUSU provides the online catalogue of all Cambridge societies with a mailing list sign-up and “what’s on” sections.
- CUSU organises the only free mail service for use by students, the CUSU mail service, which used to be called ICMS. This delivers to all 31 colleges usually within 36 hours.
- CUSU provides black and white or colour photocopying for any student at the CUSU offices. There is also a wide variety of software available to students to use and a lamination machine.
- Student groups can hire two people-carriers or and equipment van from CUSU.
- CUSU organises the shadowing scheme where sixth formers visit Cambridge, sets up meeting and greeting, arranges some group meals and entertainment, produces a comprehensive document for students taking on shadows, organises a presentation workshop for visiting shadows and provides logistical support for CCSU’s access officer. There are also CUSU organised target schemes and other access-promoting trips which link with Christ’s Target School Initiatives.